Is Long Distance Towing A Good Option For Car Transport?
The fact that driving a vehicle is not always the right way to take the vehicle to another location can be explained. From DIY moving to moving a truck to moving an antique car, you can consider alternative transportation modes. Long distance vehicle towing is another option some people think of, but it is rarely a good one unless you are towing the vehicle yourself. Towing companies are designed for short distance moves or emergency situations and do not have the right equipment, business model, or interstate authority to transport cars long distances like across the country or to Florida. If you’re towing a car long distance yourself at least the wear & tear on the vehicle is offset by not having to pay someone and being able to do it on your own schedule.
How do you tow a car with another car long distance?
There are a few steps you can follow to tow a car with another car over a long distance:
- Make sure that the car you will be using to tow the other car is capable of towing the weight of the vehicle you are planning to transport. Check the towing capacity of both vehicles to ensure that they are compatible.
- Attach a towing dolly or trailer to the towing vehicle. A towing dolly is a small trailer that is designed to hold one set of wheels off the ground, while the other two wheels remain on the ground and propel the vehicle. A trailer, on the other hand, is a larger vehicle that is designed to transport vehicles and can hold the entire vehicle off the ground.
- Load the vehicle onto the towing dolly or trailer. Make sure that the vehicle is securely fastened to the dolly or trailer using straps or chains.
- Connect the towing vehicle to the dolly or trailer. This typically involves attaching a hitch to the towing vehicle and connecting it to the dolly or trailer using a ball and hitch system.
- Follow all safety guidelines and regulations when towing a car. This includes using the proper lighting and signaling equipment, maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles, and staying within the posted speed limits.
- Plan your route in advance and make sure that you have enough fuel to make the trip. It’s also a good idea to have a reliable navigation system or map to help you stay on course.
- Take breaks as needed to rest and check on the vehicles. It’s important to stay alert and focused while towing a car over a long distance.
Towing a vehicle long distance yourself can be mentally demanding
It’s also worth noting that towing a car with another car over a long distance can be physically and mentally demanding, and it requires a certain level of expertise and experience. If you are not comfortable or familiar with the process, it may be best to hire a professional auto transport company to handle the job for you.
Regardless, there are a few things to consider before choosing long distance towing as your method of car transport.
Things to consider before choosing long distance towing as your method of car transport.
Cost of long distance towing.
One thing to consider is the cost of long distance towing. Towing a car long distances can be expensive, especially if the distance is significant. Towing vehicles is best for short distances & emergency situations. They are not set up to go long distance and typically do not have interstate authority to do so. You may also need to pay additional fees for things like fuel and tolls.
The safety of your car during transport.
Another thing to consider is the safety of your car during transport. Towing a car long distances can be hard on the vehicle, especially if it is not in good condition or is a higher end vehicle like a luxury car or exotic car. Towing cars is meant for short distances & emergency situations. Towing your car long distance will likely result in some wear & tear on the vehicles exterior from road debris, dirt, and weather. Along with wear and tear on the vehicle from being towed hundreds or thousands of miles as the tires are still rolling on the road.
The inconvenience of long distance towing
Finally, you should also consider the inconvenience of long distance towing. Depending on the distance and route, it may take several days or even weeks to transport your car using this method. This may not be practical if you need to get your car to your destination quickly.
Long distance towing is rarely a good option
Overall, long distance towing is rarely a good option for car transport unless you are towing it yourself behind another vehicle or camper with a car dolly. If you are unable to drive your car or if it is not in running condition it is best to go with specialized options for transporting your car.
Extra considerations before towing a vehicle long distance:
Should I rent a car dolly or a trailer when transporting a car?
Whether you should rent a car dolly or a trailer when transporting a car depends on a few factors. Some of the things you should consider when deciding between a car dolly and a trailer include:
The weight and size of the vehicle you are transporting:
- The weight and size of the vehicle you are transporting: If you are transporting a large or heavy vehicle, a trailer may be more suitable, as it can hold the entire vehicle off the ground and can typically handle more weight. A car dolly, on the other hand, is designed to hold only one set of wheels off the ground and may not be suitable for larger or heavier vehicles.
The distance you are traveling:
- If you are only transporting the vehicle a short distance, a car dolly may be sufficient. However, if you are traveling a long distance, a trailer may be more suitable, as it can provide more stability and protection for the vehicle being transported.
The condition of the vehicle you are transporting:
- If the vehicle you are transporting is in poor condition or is not running, a trailer may be a better choice, as it can hold the entire vehicle off the ground and allow it to be transported without needing to rely on its own power.
Your towing vehicle:
- You will also need to consider the towing capacity of your vehicle when deciding between a car dolly and a trailer. Make sure that your vehicle is capable of towing the weight of the vehicle you are planning to transport.
Ultimately, the best choice for you will depend on your specific needs and circumstances. It may be helpful to consult with a professional auto transport company or a mechanic to get advice on the best option for your situation.
Does towing a car hurt the car?
Towing a car can potentially cause damage to the car, especially if it is done improperly or if the car is not prepared for towing. Here are some things to consider to minimize the potential for damage:
- Use the proper equipment: Make sure that the towing vehicle and the car being towed are properly equipped for towing. This includes having the appropriate hitch and towing accessories, as well as ensuring that the towing vehicle is capable of safely towing the weight of the car being towed.
- Secure the car properly: The car being towed should be secured to the towing vehicle using the appropriate straps or chains. These should be tightened enough to keep the car stable and secure, but not so tight that they cause damage.
- Drive carefully: When towing a car, it is important to drive cautiously and at a safe speed. Sudden stops or turns can cause the car being towed to become unstable and potentially cause damage.
- Avoid towing over rough terrain: If possible, try to avoid towing a car over rough or uneven terrain. This can put additional strain on the car being towed and potentially cause damage.
Overall, the potential for damage to a car being towed depends on a variety of factors, including the condition of the car, the towing equipment being used, and how the car is secured and transported.
Is it cheaper to tow a car or drive it?
In most cases, it is usually cheaper to drive a car rather than tow it. This is because towing a car involves additional costs such as the cost of renting or purchasing a towing dolly or trailer, as well as the cost of fuel for the towing vehicle.
However, there are some situations in which towing a car may be more economical. For example, if you are transporting a non-running or inoperable vehicle, you will need to tow it, as it cannot be driven. In this case, the cost of towing the vehicle may be cheaper than the cost of repairs needed to get it running.
It’s also worth noting that the cost of towing a car can vary depending on the distance you are traveling, the weight and size of the vehicle you are towing, and the type of towing equipment you are using. To get a more accurate estimate of the cost of towing a car, you may want to consult with a professional auto transport company or get quotes from multiple companies to compare prices.
Is towing a car difficult?
Towing a car can be challenging, especially if you are not familiar with the process or do not have the proper equipment. Here are some things to consider when towing a car:
- Familiarize yourself with the towing process: It is important to understand the proper way to attach a car to a tow truck or another vehicle, as well as how to secure the car for transport.
- Use the proper equipment: Make sure that you have the appropriate hitch and towing accessories for the job. It is also important to ensure that the towing vehicle is capable of safely towing the weight of the car being towed.
- Follow safety guidelines: When towing a car, it is important to follow all relevant safety guidelines and regulations. This includes driving at a safe speed, using turn signals, and following all traffic laws.
- Practice caution: Towing a car can be physically demanding, so it is important to take necessary precautions to avoid injury. Make sure to lift with your legs, not your back, and use proper lifting techniques when attaching the car to the tow vehicle.
Overall, towing a car requires some knowledge and careful attention to detail. It is important to be prepared and take all necessary precautions to ensure a safe and successful tow.
Open & Enclosed Cross Country Auto Transport
Open and enclosed automobile transport are two proper main methods for cars being transported across the country, outside of the inadequate towing option, and these types are handled by an automobile transport company.
Open auto transport and enclosed auto transport refer to the type of vehicle used to transport vehicles from one location to another.
Open auto transport is a type of vehicle transportation that uses an open trailer to transport vehicles. The trailer is typically a flatbed or lowboy trailer with no roof or sides, and the vehicle being transported is secured to the trailer using straps or chains. Open auto transport is the most common and economical way to transport vehicles, and is suitable for most types of vehicles.
Enclosed auto transport, on the other hand, uses a trailer that is fully enclosed with a roof and sides to transport vehicles. The trailer is typically a box trailer or semi-trailer with a door at the back for loading and unloading the vehicle. Enclosed auto transport is more expensive than open auto transport, but it offers added protection for the vehicle being transported. It is often used to transport high-end or classic vehicles, or vehicles that need to be protected from the elements or from potential damage during transport.
Both open and enclosed auto transport can be arranged through auto transport companies, and both types of transport have their own advantages and disadvantages. It’s important to consider the specific needs, shipping cost, and requirements of the vehicle being transported when deciding which type of transport to use.
Open auto transport tends to be more for manufacturers. For individuals it’s cheaper, but riskier to your vehicle and you’ll likely experience a lower level of customer service than enclosed auto transport. Enclosed auto transport companies, like Intercity Lines, typically have higher levels of insurance, customer service, and safety levels to your vehicle transported.
The best auto transport for Nationwide Transport
If you are unable to tow the vehicle yourself then its best to choose a true long distance car shipping company instead of a tow truck company. The best option is shipping your car with an enclosed auto transport company that has their own fleet of experience trucks and is reputable.
The best auto transport companies for Nationwide Transport
We, Intercity Lines, is the leading national vehicle transportation company that provides safe and affordable transportation to vehicles throughout the country. Our services include transport to take your automobile from its source and deliver it to your destination in a safe and secure way using our 53′ state-of-the-art air ride enclosed car carriers equipped with hydraulic lift gates.
We handle every aspect of car transport with a keen eye for detail, exceptional customer service, and white glove handling. Whatever you’re moving, buying or selling a car, going on vacation, to a concours, car rally, or event we make it easy to ship your cars and motorcycles safely nationwide.